Monday, January 12, 2009

Its a new year

The year started quite well for me, I can't complain. What with my dearest starting school. Having looked for a school for a better part of the last part of last year (if that makes sense at all), I decided to settle for Jonathan Gloag which is on my way to work so would just drop him off. Shock on me.

I took the toi for an interview in November, just two days after his 3rd birthday (apparently they do not take tois who are not yet 3), you'll have to ngoja until they fika that age. At the interview room, he decided he only wanted to play with the toys available there, he didn't care about anything else.

We were told to wait outside for a while so I decided to take a walk round the school. On seeing the play ground, the young man decided that would be his home for the rest of the day. Nothing I did or said could make him budge. After begging, babying, cuddling, he finally agreed to leave the compound. I don't know if the idea of watching cartoons the whole day appealed to him, but it did work.

Two weeks later I get a text from the school that he did not get a place. Panic settled in and since it was the last option, I just did not have a plan F. Having chujad all the other schools, I had nowhere else to turn. Think hard and fast. What to do. I called the school asking for the reason why and I didn't quite place it. They said that due to very high demand, they had decided to now look at the kids' ages. The last kid taken was turning three and a half in January 09. My son would only be three and one month. I wanted to cry coz now what was I going to do. Having everything left for me to work out, I was out of options.

Well, I was advised that if I wanted to, I could take him mid year! To join them that had been in class from Jan or what? I didn't quite understand. Well, shit happens.

I spent a better part of the morning calling kindergartens, nurseries that I thot were 'good' or 'up to good schools' standards' and ended up calling Strathmore school, just to check. We'', I'm so green in kiddos schools they told me they only take kids from 7 years of age and not just from any school. They gave me three schools to call and I settled on one that I'd been advised by my good buddies.

Clearly this school issue is a bizna that's doing so well I will start one myself. I know I won't go wrong. I called the school and got an appointment and went to see the teacher who just asked for cash and all is set. I took the docs to the relevant authorities who claimed it was expensive. Duh! If you don't pay then I will. A good foundation is a must.

Well, come end Jan I go shopping for his uniform (yes, they do wear) and one look of himself in uniform and he refused to leave the changing room. Drama before he starts school. I undress him and once he's back in his 'kawa' clothes he leaves the changing room. So relieved.

We wait for Jan for him to start school.

2 comments:

odegle said...

fyi we are already in Jan

Ja-dear said...

backdated post