Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The aftermath

On 28th Morning, wake up early. Watch news, results are trickling in from different constituencies. Its interested how the big fall. I'm in shock, Kenyans truly do need a new look 10th parliament. I hate to imagine the shocked looks on their faces when they heard that they'd lost.

They continue to fall harder, even the Moillets (ex-president Moi's three sons). I'm happy.

I'm late taking breakfast as I watch news. I get hungry and decide to go have some bitings. They day is spend just watching, watching and watching news as results are announced. By evening I know our next president, so I thought. The guy had even led in Nairobi of all the provinces. Of course Nyanza, Rift Valley, Coast and Western there was no question about it. What amazed me was North Eastern. Well, Eastern we had no chance and Central was out of the question. By evening we are yet to get results from Central, wonder why.

Anyway, with a lead of close to 1 million votes, even if they rigged, they would not reach that. In the evening, I sense tension. Text messages are coming in quick succession. I'm scared, I hate what I'm reading. Looks like the whole country is holding its breath. Could it be true? Well, lets wait and see. I get a call at 11pm. Things are thick, and there is nobody willing to say anything more but its written in bold. There is no way Emilio is going to leave office, lose or win (no he already won). And the ECK commissioners (from one of the texts) were divided over a State House directive to make sure the lead between him and RAO is at least by over 200,000 votes. (we saw that). But Central Province is not releasing its results. The returning offices have switched off their phones and those are the only results we are waiting for. I go to bed knowing the country is not going to be the same again. Deep down the whole country knows that even with everybody voting, there is no way in heaven and earth that the master planner was going to catch up with that lead.

More shock. Some constituencies record 115% voter turnout! Some only voted for the presidency did not vote for an MP or Councillor in Central Province. What a shame. Kisumu gets chaotic, the riots have began, you can cut the tension with a knife. I'm saddened by the turn of events. Why is it so hard to accept defeat?

Early the next morning, KICC is filled to capacity. The ECK chairman is still not at the press conference. The ODM chairman declares RAO the winner but he is not the ECK chairman. I leave for my shags. We still don't have a president 2 days later, has never happened before. Reach home, see my sisters, nephews, nieces, the shamba looks bad. It hasn't rained in a while and the effects are evident. I'd planned to have some roast fresh maize from the shamba, roasted on the 'kendo' (three stones - firewood). Too bad and its also not the harvest season. One of my mum's chickens loses its life because I'm in the hood.

The following events take place too fast. First the press are banned from being at the press conference by the police commissioner (who does he think he is?) but he is working on orders from you know who. Just before the results are announced, there is a power black out at KICC and when it comes back, we have a new president and only KBC were allowed into the hall. We had international observers who were not even allowed into the hall, why? Its right there infront of you. I don't need to say anything. Emilio wins by a margin of over 200,000. Did I mention that I knew this would be the case. So why did we have elections in the first place. The looting has started. The whole country is in tears (except the small clique that wanted it to stay that way). Police are ordered to shoot to kill in Kisumu, because they are very bitter and have been lied to even after voting. The rampage continues, every business premise and house belonging to a Kikuyu is looted, flattened, set on fire, the hatred is all over. Roads are barricaded, stores are burnt, food is looted, this is Sudan, or Somaliland. This is not the Kenya I grew to love with all my heart. What do we do now? who is the cause of all these? We all know and there is nothing we can do about it.

In record time Emilio is sworn in at State house. How did he get to state house so fast unless he had been living there all the time? He knew what would happen. He knew he was not going to leave the throne whatever you said or did. So again, why did we vote? Ok, I didn't myself.

Anyway, my sister is so angered she refuses to eat, which she doesn't do. I'm in pain. The 'government' orders that no station broadcasts anything live. The press freedom notwithstanding. There is nothing they can do. There are chaos all over the country. How will I get back to Nairobi. I'm deep in the village. At night I can hear gunshots, I don't know how close they are but in the morning when I wake up, some butcher had been shot but not killed, phew!

There is more chaos. No leader is coming out to say anything. Sit at home and relax, watch movies on telly as there is no live broadcasts (while the country burns and people die). I get a running tummy, I cannot sit still.

The New Year comes without much celebrations. I had called for my ride and they were going to TRY and see how the situation is. There's a curfew in Kisumu. There are roadblocks everywhere so how do you even get from your home to your destination? Well they manage to make it home late afternoon. Its a race against time. As we drive from home, we meet these roudy mob of small boys (yes), barricading the path (not road) from home. A few minutes ago they were not there. They ask for money. You don't question, you give because you want to be away from there. We meet two more in a space of less than 100 metres, 'leta pesa ya mafuta'. You only wonder mafuta for what. Is it petrol, paraffin, what? You give. The boy who asks me for money is not more than 13 years. For sure. I tell him to grow up as I'm annoyed. How dare he. Just heard that they looted the cereals bank where all the surplus harvest is stored. All boarding schools in the area are supplied from here. They burnt down the market too. These are not protesters, these are hooligans. Where do they expect their mothers to buy food, where do they expect the food to come from being that the stores have been looted. It is very annoying. I'm seething with anger inside. How dare they!

This is what we have come to. This is what the country has come to. This is what our leaders have made us turn to. Violence. Looting. Rape. Since there is a curfew, our ride is uneventful though we have to use a shortcut as we dont know how further ahead the road is. We drive past a few smouldering tyres on the road, boulders, tree trunks (these people are strong), bill boards, anything that can be used to block the road. There is no traffic. I only count at most 2 cars. Not usual on this road. All we meet are the boda bodas carrying families (its the only means of transport available). And people are not moving around anyway, unless you really have to move. We get home safe.

I forgot, the only reason we managed to manouver one of the barriers is because I pretended to know one of the 'hooligans' who was holding us hostage. They had placed big stones under the tyres such that we couldn't move either way. Carrying big ones to smash the car if we refused to hand over money. Two went to the trunk of the car to peep inside, tried to unlock and found it locked. My bag was in the trunk and I don't know why I put it there in the first place. I don't normally do that. They got angry. They wanted money. They opened the dashboard and took out cash from there, but just coins, it was not even enough if they shared among themselves. (you are not allowed to drive with your window down to ease communication between you and the negotiator or you have them smashed) As I pleaded my case, I picked on one who looked a bit educated. I asked him why he was harassing us and we came from the same place (I didn't even recognise him), and asked if his folks knew what he was doing. I told him he should be ashamed of himself (don't know where the courage came from), and that should anything happen to us, I would personally hold him responsible and will haunt him for the rest of his life. He ordered to road unblocked and the stones at the tyres removed. We went on our way. I have never been so scared in my life. Meeting eye to eye with the abusers of the law.

Reached my destination in one piece and relaxed as I contemplated leaving Kisumu for Nairobi. I was with my son and I didn't want to be caught up in the middle of all that was happening. The 'president' has said nothing as yet, not even RAO.

I go to bed in the evening praying that there is no more bloodshed. I'd seen enough. Don't know what tomorrow holds for us. My flight was booked for tomorrow and at this rate, I have no idea how I will get to the airport but anyway, flights are all cancelled until further notice. My fate is sealed. I'm stuck in the village till the country comes to its senses. What a start to the new year. And why did it have to come to this. I hate the people who have brought us to this.

No comments: