Friday, November 23, 2007

The KBSes and Citihoppas of Nairobi

Woke up quite early this morning after oversleeping yesterday. Who wouldn't, it was damn cold last night. After leaving the house at around 7.45am, managed to jump into a matatu that was heading to Ngummo as its easier and shorter for me to connect via Mbagathi Road, grab a bus at the Highrise Estate entrance then alight the Kenyatta Hospital Stage and stroll to the office making it a record 30 minutes (when there is traffic) or 10mins if roads are clear. Mark you, this is from the house to the office. I know there are many sneers there but hey, it true.

As we all know the price of fuel has been escalating daily, what with our fuel pump prices heading in the same direction. At times I don't really envy the hard working Kenyan who has to still dig deeper into his/her pocket for the few extra shillings they dont have to fuel their cars. But yesterday, I nearly let the rain drown my tears as I was being rained on at the bus stop. i longed for that car, even the Vitz that I so don't like, or the Duet that looks like my son's toycar. I know I'm being mean but I'll not buy those cars!

As the conductress was ticketing the commuters, I gave her 20/- for the trip from Highrise to Kenyatta, what I have always paid before the fuel hike. She gave me my ticket. I was on the window side. The lady beside me asked, 'kwani Kenyatta ni 20/-?'. I respond in the affirmative. Then she calls the conductress and tells her that she is also alighting at the same stop as I. The condy explains to her that she charged me 20/- because I gave her 20/-. So I wondered what the fare was, 20/- or 30/-. Well, that was the beginning of all her problems. I sat staring out the window, didn't want to be drawn into their arguments. I only love arguments that I'll win, lol!

My argument is this, and correct me if I'm wrong. When the fuel prices went up last week, all buses and mats increased their fares by 10/-. I miss the days when they only went up by a shilling or even Cents 50. This was not even up by 5 bob, it was a whole 'ashuu'. Its unfair, that's over 200/- a month for crying out loud. The two guys behind me decides its a rip off, well it is. The fares have gone up, yes. From Highrise to Kenyatta was 20 and its now 30, from Highrise to the town centre was 30 and has remained 30, so pray do tell, who came up with this idea? Is it that the fuel only went up between Highrise and Kenyatta and if you are taking to longer trip, it tends to reduce to the original pump price? I dont understand. The same guys behind decide to have to solution. Man Thuo is campaigning and its the only way he can raise money, from the likes of us, hike the fare and the extra 10/- goes to his campaign, I personally dont get the logic here. I let it go.

I later wondered, if you have a problem, its better to face it head-on. But I still want to know why the fare is different only to Kenyatta and not to town.

Its Friday, and I cant wait for jioni. I have to go to the salon to have my hair retouched (wonder why they call it that), then drinks baadaye, lakini wapi? Its ohangla night and it 5 reds entry fees, tutaona. I have to work tomorrow! Thought I did 2 weeks ago. I have a bash in the afternoon! Do I really want to go? Evening at leisure!

No comments: