Thursday, November 01, 2007

Our choice, not anyone else's

Hi, I just had an interesting discussion with some 'right-thinking' people, Kenyans that is. I love the way everyone is ready to provide solutions to all problems that we currently have. Like give chance to Kibs to finish what he started, he had 5 years to do that, why didn't he make sure he finished then? Kibs claims that none of the other presidential candidates have anything to show Kenyans. What have they achieved? I'm not good at politics but when he was elected the president of this country, what had he achieved for us to trust him. He was given the chance to prove what he could do for us, and he's used up that time, don't understand why anyone is being sympathetic. Those are my views so don't kill me for expressing my views.

On my recent trip, not that they've been many overseas, mostly to the village, I noticed a trend with the Brtitish. They shop, shop and shop, and of course for clad (clothes), and shoes. Very few people shop for households. I was wondering why yet it is damn expensive to live in the UK. The housing and food can really bog you down unless you have a very good job, not just that but well paying too. Or work two jobs when not in college to make ends meet. My former boss told me that it takes hard work to survive in such a country. He's been there a year now, is in college and works part-time. His wife had to follow him there as they'd just gotten married the previous year and could not stay behind though she was employed. Anyway, she got a job with Barclays and is happy though she says it is not easy. She still intends to go for evening classes or get a second job for that extra penny.

Rent ranges from £1200 for a one bedroomed house to I didn't get to ask the maximum. This has to be paid weekly or fortnightly depending on your agreement with your housing agent or landlord. On average, an 'a bit well paying' job would earn you from £7.50 an hour. (They are paid by the hour and any extra hour put in earns you overtime, but you need prior arrangement from your boss, you just don't decide that 'today I'll put in extra hours as I need that cash for the salon', or that nice boot I saw at Clarks, no. Look out for those days when you get paid extra. Its always on the notice board.

Back to shopping, they use cards to shop, credit cards, 80% of the population, hence the craze! I fear cards, last one I had had to be sent back because I got tired of paying for what I did not even need in the first place. Blame it on the guy called impulse buying. Apparently the more you shop the more you are a potential client for the banks and stores. We shopped at Marks and Spencer and when we paid cash the cashier asked us to fill in forms so that we get the 'card', its kind of like a smart card (Nakumatt/Uchumi), you accumulate points the more you shop. Anyway, we were there for a few days and they still have to verify that you are creditworthiness before your are assimilated into their system. We didn't have post codes anyway, the ones in Kenya don't work, lol.

The best places to work are at the health and the finance sector, so I gathered. The rest I'm yet to learn much about them.

Nuff said for now.....................

2 comments:

odegle said...

its a lie, the term of a president is 5 years not 10.

Anonymous said...

Damn right about the British people...funny thing tho...they get the money to supplement all their expensive needs from the likes of us" immigrants"...and yet still keep complaining about their country being packed full...tsk!